Wednesday, April 27, 2016

A new beginning, four years later

I totally and completely forgot about this blog. Somewhere between 2011 and 2016 I simply dropped it. Maybe it was me just deciding to work more on school, or maybe I just got lazy.

Well a lot has changed since 2011. I spent five years at Madison Simms Elementary, teaching 4th grade. I saw numerous colleagues come and go. I finally became a part of the school culture.... and then we moved.

So. Now I am in Denver Colorado. The Lord blessed me to be able to get a job teaching 5th grade at a school called Fort Logan Northgate. Long story short it was a year of learning and growth for me which I'm not really sure I ever want to repeat.

I learned a great deal about students and especially working about students who live in poverty. I know that the lessons I've learned at Fort Logan Northgate will follow me for the rest of my life and hopefully they will inform my teaching for the better in the future.

Now I get to take a new step forward. I have just been offered a position teaching at the Colorado STEM Academy. This is a school based around stem principles. I will be able to use project-based learning, Hands On learning, and be able to have more of a direct control over what I am able to teach and how I teach it. I'm really looking forward to this change in my life and to celebrate it I have decided to improve myself with a little bit of professional development which I am looking forward to more than anything else in the world.

I have the opportunity to go to the international Society for technology education (ISTE) which will be in Denver Colorado this summer 2016. I'm looking forward to all of the new tools and techniques that I'm going to be able to learn during this conference and hopefully then be able to take into my new Venture at the Colorado STEM Academy.

Maybe this time I won't forget about this blog and I'll have an opportunity to write more about this exciting change in my life.

As a side note, blue eyes from a few posts ago is now 8 years old. She was baptized last March and is blowing her way through school. It helps she has a pretty amazing mother who helps her every step of the way. But never does it for her. Soon her little brother will be off to kindergarten also.

(Caveat for the end- this post was typed using goggle voice keyboard! For such a rough text to speech app this worked out pretty well, except for some weird grammar things!)

No comments:

Post a Comment




Locations of Site Visitors